serving jesus christ and portsmouth, oh since 1875
serving jesus christ and portsmouth, oh since 1875
If you don’t have a church you call home, we invite you to join us wherever you find yourself on a Sunday morning!
We unite our hearts and minds in worship at 9:30a.m.
Some gather in the sanctuary; some worship from home; and others even tune in while they’re at work!
Besides live worship in the building, the service is broadcasted simultaneously on WIOI (106.7FM 1010AM) and livestreamed on our YouTube channel: Second Presbyterian Church Portsmouth, OH.
After worship, we gather for fellowship during Coffee Hour (usually 10:30a.m. - 11:00a.m.), then our intergenerational Sunday School class (affectionately known as the sermon post-mortem!) commences, meeting from 11:00a.m. - 12:00p.m.
Second Pres building from Waller St
If you are worshiping with us remotely, we suggest you get a copy of the bulletin to help you follow along with the service.
We are happy to mail you a paper copy or email you a digital copy each week -- just shoot us an email or call us so we can add you to the appropriate list (firstname.lastname@example.org or 740-353-4159).
Several times a year we celebrate the sacrament of Communion. The elements - the bread and the cup - are provided in the building but if you are worshiping remotely, you are invited to create your own version of communion bread and the cup (normally filled with grape juice in the building). During the pandemic when many are worshiping from home, they've used bread, crackers, pretzels, wine, juice, and water. Pretty much anything will do, especially if you didn't know it was a communion Sunday and you're scrambling at the last minute!
TITHES & OFFERINGS
We have several ways you can give while you're worshiping from work or from home.
Each Sunday, we gather together as sisters and brothers in Christ to worship the God revealed to us through the pages of Scripture - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Everyone is welcome to worship with us. There's no particular dress code: you'll see some of us in jeans and others dressed to the nines. Wear what you think is appropriate for worship.
1. PARKING Your visit for worship at Second begins from the time you park your car. We've got lots of parking spaces in our paved lot which surrounds the church on two sides, as well as abundant street parking on the other two sides along Eighth St (now closed) and Waller St. We have several accessible parking places in the back of the parking lot near the accessible ramp entrance to the building (facing the PHS track). The sanctuary is located across from this entrance, just to the left. You are welcome to use the coat rack located there.
2. DOORS During the COVID-19 pandemic, for worship we are using the exterior ramp doors and the doors facing Waller St. The doors facing Waller Street will lead directly into the rear of the sanctuary, and the ramp doors are right across the hallway from the fonrt of the sanctuary.
3. SANCTUARY It shouldn't take you too long to find our sanctuary where we hold worship on Sunday mornings. A greeter is glad to hand you a bulletin which will guide you through the service and share information about what's going on at Second Pres in the upcoming weeks. Occasionally we will worship in the chapel (across the hall from the sanctuary). On those days, simply follow the additional signs.
4. MUSIC We are unabashed lovers of music and tend to attract fellow-music lovers in our pews (AND in the choir loft)! We love our choir AND our custom-built Kilgen Organ, constructed in 1935 specifically to fit our worship space. Singing is one of our favorite ways to praise our Creator! We're constantly looking forward to seeing what sort of music our Organist/Choirmaster, Dr. Stan Workman, has in store for us.
5. PREACHING Pastor Allison delights in doing something creative or unexpected in her sermon (and sometimes in other parts of the service too). Though the order of the service remains constant from week to week, we're always anticipating what might happen this Sunday. (More than one of us has been known to say we don't like missing worship because we hate to miss what happens!)
6. TITHES & OFFERINGS We are currently not passing offering plates during the service. Offering plates are available in the front and the back of the sanctuary. In the last couple of years, many people have switched to mailing donations in or using our online giving service -- you can even set up regular donations so you don't have to worry about remembering to bring it with you!.
7. COFFEE HOUR IS BACK! As of March 2022, coffee hour is back! All are welcome to join us for about 30 minutes after church and before Sunday School. And we're looking for sponsors either by the week or by the month! If you have questions about what kinds of refreshments are served or if you would like to volunteer, please contact Lindsey Kegley or the church office (740-353-4159).
8. SUNDAY SCHOOL has resumed in the parlor following worship. Traditionally, this a time when we get to pick Pastor Allison's brain with questions about the sermon and share our reflections on what she said. Other times we do a Bible Study or read a book together. Mostly, it's a time to share what's on our hearts and minds as we end each gathering with prayer.
Second Pres has glorious stained glass windows!
Copyright © 2019 Second Presbyterian Church - All Rights Reserved.